While it’s imperative to keep business practices within compliance of industry set standards to help insure a healthy and safe environment, it’s equally important that you manage risk and incident possibility within your own organization. Many of the guidelines that are in place to keep you up to standard par on compliance goals are set with a holistic view of an industry. However, these standards are not a one-size-fits-all type of arrangement when it comes to how your operation actually runs. Those that want to stay in business have to actively engage in putting their day-to-day organizational workflow under the microscope in order to maintain a sustainable business entity. You have to continually and confidently assess workplace safety as a potential (and serious) source, affecting the bottom line and the well-being of your workforce and other applicable business assets.
SAP EHS software puts you in position to go beyond compliance and enable a safer and more efficient operative workplace:
- Proactively identify operational risks, take corrective action, and use the insights gained to prevent costly incidents and accidents with our enterprise risk management software
- Confidently identify and reduce risks that can harm people, production assets, and the environment
- Consistently comply with regulations and implement EHS management system standards and requirements
- Establish and enforce operating controls and safety measures to prevent adverse events
- Reduce the cost of compliance and boost productivity across global operations
An unwillingness to accept risk and incident management plan from the top down can incite:
- Poor visibility and a reactive approach to managing safety and risk
- Ineffective employee training, certification, and competency verification
- Delayed recognition of warning signs of abnormal operations
- Outdated procedures and poor knowledge transfer when procedures are updated
- Lack of company-wide prevention of incidents and exposures, with no continuous improvement in risk reduction
- A false sense of security across the enterprise
If you can make your people and operations safer, your company will perform better over the long term. Safety and productivity go hand in hand. The challenge is to operate in a way that aligns with your organization’s risk tolerance priorities and helps you achieve business performance targets while reducing potentially harmful incidents before they land a solid blow to the financial and overall integrity of the organization.
Safe operations start with ensuring that all incidents are reported – even near misses and observations of unsafe acts or conditions. This requires not only a supportive safety culture but also the tools to make reporting easy. Leading companies track all incidents – all types and severity levels. They use this data to detect failures in their safety systems and prioritize their resources to take appropriate corrective and preventive action. Root cause analysis is essential. If you respond to injuries, damaged equipment, and environmental releases only by repairing the damage (or providing compensation if it is irreparable), you miss the opportunity to learn from these incidents and take action to preclude similar future incidents.
SAP delivers a comprehensive incident management solution that makes it easier for anyone to report an incident of any severity. Once it is reported, the incident manager and other experts can then use the system in a collaborative manner as they take immediate action and then thoroughly investigate the causes, take preventive measures, and manage reporting requirements to completion.
- Tracking of all incidents, close calls, and safety observations
- Integrated workflows to manage actions across different departments and help ensure closure
- Tracking of incident details related to people, assets, or the environment
- Reporting to internal and external stakeholders
In order to fully realize your company’s ability to remain sustainable and a viable resource to the industry you must start taking risk and incident management seriously. SAP EHS is suited to best serve these needs.
To learn how SAP and KloudData can help you manage risk and incident occurrences in your organization, take advantage of our free PowerPoint presentation: “SAP EHS Delivery Capability and Operation Plan.”